Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Lightning Sketch - Luxury Bathing

Overview

I've never been good at writing dialogue, and I can't say that today's sketch is any better but it's an attempt to improve on an important area of writing - the interaction of two people in real time.

Luxury Bathing

“Why do you do that?”
“Do What?”
“Not answer me. I’ve just asked you a question, like twice.”
“Honey, I’m really busy and tired. Can’t it wait?”
“It always waits. How long does it have to wait now?”
She just sighs, rolls her eyes and gives no answer. He, needing something to happen, anything to happen, walks out.
She slips inches further in to the warming suds, covering her up to her chin, leaving only her toes and knees breaking the surface of the water as tiny islands in a small sea. The steam gently rises from the surface of the water filling the room and covering the walls with misty droplets of warm water. She breathes and sighs even more causing the minor sea with the tiny islands to rise and fall with every inhale and exhale.
She cries silently to herself, the tears running rivers to the sea of warmth and comfort.

Minutes pass. Stress and sadness evaporate into the self-contained soapy sea. More minutes pass.
He walks in with empty hands and words of apology and comfort.
“I don’t want to hear it right now. Can’t I just finish my bath, please?”
He leaves, and before doing so, places a gift at the foot of her bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment